A Weekend Guide to Sonoma County
Sonoma County is a perfect destination for a weekend getaway or a longer vacation. From its vineyards and wineries to its stunning redwoods, there is something for everyone in this beautiful part of California. Whether you want to relax and unwind or explore the great outdoors, Sonoma County has plenty to offer.
As a lifetime resident of Sonoma County, I highly recommend booking your trip through a local travel expert, such as Sunshine Travel and Tour, to make sure you have the best experience possible. With that in mind, here are the top seven things to do in Sonoma County for a weekend guide:
- Visit the Wineries and Vineyards: Sonoma County is home to over 400 wineries and vineyards, making it a wine lover’s paradise. Take a guided tour or rent a car and explore the beautiful countryside on your own. Some popular wineries to visit include Benziger Family Winery, Gloria Ferrer Caves & Vineyards, and Francis Ford Coppola Winery.
- Explore the Redwoods: The towering redwoods in Sonoma County’s Armstrong Redwoods State Natural Reserve are awe-inspiring. Take a leisurely hike or bike ride through the forest, or rent a kayak and paddle down the Russian River. For a truly unique experience, consider spending the night in the treetops at Sonoma Canopy Tours.
- Relax at the Spa: Sonoma County is known for its luxurious spas, offering everything from hot stone massages to mud baths. Some popular options include the Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn & Spa, Kenwood Inn and Spa, and the Osmosis Day Spa Sanctuary.
- Taste the Local Cuisine: Sonoma County is home to some of the best restaurants in California, serving up everything from farm-to-table fare to international cuisine. Some popular dining spots include The Girl & The Fig, Zazu Kitchen + Farm, and Mateo’s Cocina Latina.
- Enjoy the Outdoors: In addition to the redwoods and vineyards, Sonoma County is home to many other outdoor activities. Rent a bike and ride along the scenic coast, go kayaking in the Russian River, or take a Segway tour through the vineyards.
- Visit Safari West: For a truly unique experience, visit Safari West, a 400-acre wildlife preserve where you can see animals such as giraffes, zebras, and cheetahs up close. You can even spend the night in a luxurious tented cabin and wake up to the sound of lions roaring in the distance.
- Stay at a Luxury Resort: Sonoma County has many luxury resorts where you can relax and unwind in style. Some popular options include the Farmhouse Inn, Hotel Healdsburg, and the Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn & Spa.
In addition to these top seven things to do in Sonoma County, there are plenty of other activities and attractions to explore. Consider taking a hot air balloon ride over the stunning vineyards with Up & Away Ballooning or exploring the historic Sonoma Plaza, which features shops, restaurants, and a beautiful park.
For those with a sweet tooth, a visit to the charming Mom’s Apple Pie in Sebastopol is a must. Here, you can indulge in delicious homemade pies and other baked goods, all made with fresh, locally-sourced ingredients.
If you’re traveling with kids, don’t miss the opportunity to visit the Children’s Museum of Sonoma County in Santa Rosa. Here, children can learn and play through interactive exhibits and programs. For those interested in history, a visit to the Sonoma Mission should be on your itinerary. This historic site is where the first California mission was established and offers tours and exhibits that showcase the history of the area.
When it comes to dining, there are plenty of options for every palate and budget. For a casual breakfast or lunch, head to the Downtown Bakery & Creamery in Healdsburg for delicious pastries and sandwiches. If you’re looking for a more upscale dining experience, consider the two Michelin-starred restaurants, Madrona Manor, in Healdsburg, which serves creative and beautifully presented dishes.
To truly immerse yourself in Sonoma County’s wine country, consider booking a tour with a local company like Wine Country Walking Tours or Green Dream Tours. These tours will take you to some of the region’s best wineries, where you can sample the local wines and learn about the winemaking process.
Sonoma County is a destination that has something for everyone. From world-class wineries to scenic hikes and unique experiences like staying in the tree tops, it’s no wonder that it’s a popular destination for travelers from around the world. So pack your bags, book your trip,